“Dear Mum” Campaign
Is there something you want to tell your mum? Something…
You wish you had said
You want to tell her for the first time
You want to remind her of again…
Well here’s your chance!
It is an essay writing competition where everyone is invited to explore their own mental wellbeing. Entrants are asked to write a letter to their mother (or other important family figure) on any topic they choose. The letter could be introducing something they wish they could discuss with their mother/significant other face to face, it might be about feelings (good and bad) or it might be acknowledging Mum’s/other significant other’s support. Sharing stories with mother or other family member/s aligns with this year’s Mental Health Month theme of “Stronger Together”.
Let’s find the writer within you
SiTara’s Story presents an essay writing contest that offers great prizes. To win the contest, all you need to do is donate $5 to our account, and write up the best essay/story/letter you can. Be original, argue your case thoughtfully, and bring out some new and interesting points, and you can be in with a chance of winning.
How to enter
All you have to do is donate $5 only (Name: Sitaras Story Incorporated, BSB: 032778, ACC: 554756, Please put your name in the reference box), write your story, then ‘like’ SiTara’s Story’s Facebook page . Once you’ve done that, send us an email with your essay and bank reference number of your donation so we can confirm you’re eligible to enter the contest. Please send your submissions to email@example.com.
Do you think you have what it takes?
Then get writing and let us know!
- $$$ gift cards!
- Winners will be announced and best essays will be published!
The competition will be inaugurated on World Mental Health Awareness Day, Tuesday 10 October 2017. All entries must be sent to us between October 15, 2017 – January, 2018. The winners will be announced in February, 2018.
- Donate $5 only (Name: Sitaras Story Incorporated, BSB: 032778, ACC: 554756, Please put your name in the reference box).
- All entries must be your own original work.
- All entries should be between 600-800 words.
- All entries must be written in English only.
- Entries can be submitted in the following file formats: .doc, .pdf, and .docx. Images can be used in your essay if you feel that they are necessary to your work.
- Email your essay to firstname.lastname@example.org making note of the reference number (in the subject line) provided by the bank.
- Please provide your contact details in email.
Two age groups:
- 8-13 years
- >13 years
Our highly qualified, mental health experts will be judging entries to this competition. Thanks to their combined years of experience in the field, they know exactly what to look for in the perfect essay. Make sure you submit your best work in order to get their attention!
This campaign is being held in partnership with Post and Antenatal Depression Support and Information (PANDSI) and Mental Illness Education ACT.
Why you should enter
Firstly, the top two entries will win fantastic prizes, and who can say no to that? Also, your work will be confirmed as being top quality by our judges, and your entry will be put on display as a great example of creative writing.
But most importantly
- It encourages you to speak up about your feelings to break down communication barriers
- To be creative and expand your education
- To recognise the important role of those closest to you in your mental wellbeing
- To help Sitara’s Story raise funds for mental health education
Still think you have what it takes? Pick your topic and get started! We’re excited to see what the entrants come up with, and hopefully you’ll get in some creative writing practice while you’re competing for first place. Make sure you read the guidelines closely before you begin, and good luck!